FIFA: We ‘Deeply Concerned’ with Images of DR Congo Women’s Team Being Taunted By Fans

FIFA has expressed “deep concern” over footage on social media showing players for the DR Congo women’s national team being taunted by fans as they left a stadium after a match. One video which…

FIFA: We 'Deeply Concerned' with Images of DR Congo Women's Team Being Taunted By Fans

FIFA has expressed “deep concern” over footage on social media showing players for the DR Congo women’s national team being taunted by fans as they left a stadium after a match.

One video which was posted on Twitter shows the team making their way to a bus as insults and songs can be heard by fans. Another shows the players leaving the bus with a single bandana covering their mouths.

“FIFA is deeply concerned with recent social media footage showing the DR Congo women’s national team players in Brazzaville and Dili,” FIFA said in a statement.

“We understand the incident occurred on Friday 19 November during the World Cup qualifier against DR Congo U20, following the 1-1 draw, which the home team won.”

FIFA said players from both teams were treated with “the utmost respect and dignity” in the match.

The match took place in the city of Brazzaville and ended in a draw in which DR Congo U20 striker Lorine Ephraim scored the equalizer in the second half, but it was not enough to secure a win for her team.

Supporters of DR Congo U20 have previously been filmed violently attacking opposition fans and police officers in the city and outside the stadium before and after matches.

Both clubs were given serious sanctions earlier this year over their fans’ behavior at matches.

FIFA’s statement follows another warning for France after a fan was caught on camera throwing a banana on the pitch in their international game against Israel earlier this month.

The Football Federation of France (FFF) said the fan would be banned from all France Football League (FFF) games until further notice.

The FFF said the fan has apologized for his actions, but that the Force Indique player’s inclusion in the team was not at risk.

“The player must be forgiven. There is no doubt he acts to protect the team,” FFF president Noel Le Graet said.

“So far, we have not received any other threatening messages from the same person. We have had no evidence of any sort of terror network or influence of any kind,” he added.

To view the now-removed tweets (warning, extremely explicit language), click here.

Leave a Comment