Sailing ship UMa Kapei has freed a narco sub snatched in the high seas near Yemen’s coast.
Captain Hicham Cisse said his vessel picked up the stricken Chinese-built fishing boat from the Gulf of Aden early on Sunday morning.
The fisherman were found unconscious after the attack and treatment in Suez – a Red Sea port on the Mediterranean coast of Egypt.
“Our ship was very calm,” said Captain Cisse, who was visibly tired as he spoke to a crewmember on board the UMa Kapei.
“The crew was holding their head up and showing signs of recovery. They were hungry and thirsty but otherwise in good condition.”
The boat’s owner, from northern Yemen, told Reuters news agency that security forces were responsible for the abduction.
“This boat was captured at the al-Dhale’ and Mr Ahmed used to be in charge of the patrol of the area until a few months ago,” he said.
Photo: AFP / USEF_CELEBRATORY
Few details of the incident have been released and it is not clear whether the Captain was able to use the boarding device that came on board the UMa Kapei.
In August 2015, a Filipino crew member died and four were injured after gunmen stormed a Singapore-registered luxury yacht in the Gulf of Aden.
The gunmen stole $4.4m (£3.5m) in cash and then took away five other crew members of the yacht, “Samson”.
Last month, USS Mahan, a US guided missile destroyer, was harassed by a speedboat with three suspects on board, according to AFP news agency.
The US military released photos from the incident and captured video of the perpetrators jumping into the water after their boat was confronted by US forces.
Authorities said the incident was planned and posed a risk to US and international merchant ships.